Highlights of the 1999 Season

Bay of Plenty Division One

10 April Edgecumbe v Whakatane. Whakatane opened the scoring in the 30th minute. A strong jump and header had the home team appealing for a push on their keeper, but to no avail. Ten minutes later, ex-Edgecumbe player Matt Dalgity was brought down in the penalty area. Whakatane's player-coach Werner Rechsteiner converted the penalty clinically. Bas Overdevest suffering a knee injury ..goalkeeper Rhys Berghuis in excellent form. A strong shot from Fraser found its way through a crowded Whakatane penalty area and into the goal. Edge 1, Whakatane 3.

17 April Kawerau v Edgecumbe Young stand-in Edgecumbe goalkeeper Daniel Overdevest, having his first senior game, got up well to palm the ball away. As luck would have it, the ball went straight onto the head of Kawerau's Gavin Rothwell, who was following in, and into the goal. defender Sam Scrimgeour did well to get back and clear a shot off the line, but a following in attacker got his leg to the clearance and it also went in. Player-coach Christian Wetting went extremely close, with a wind assisted blast from forty metres just clearing the crossbar. Keith Fraser adjudged to have committed his second bookable offence and was sent from the field, despite protests from both teams. Kerry Hawkes and Wetting toiled valiantly into the wind.. Dave Lawrence, playing his last game before retirement, showed the skills that have made him such a valuable player over many years, putting in a number of well placed crosses and passes. Kawerau 3, Edge 0.

24 April Edgecumbe v Rotorua Suburbs. In the midfield Hori Elliot, Christian Wetting and Sjoerd Overdevest were in excellent touch and controlled much of the proceedings. However Suburbs quick on the break...deju vu ..a long cross find the head of a lone Suburbs striker who directed it from close range into the net. Tim Tatham to Edgecumbe strike force after half time.. ability to create space, hold the ball up and link well with fellow left footer Elliot meant the home team could put a lot of pressure on their visitors. Edgecumbe had eighty per cent of the game..a Wetting run drew defenders at an Edgecumbe corner kick and centre-back Barrie Hawkes headed the ball goalwards. Tatham completed the job, turning the ball past the goal-line defenders to even the score up.. in the final seconds great run by Ogilvy had him half brought down from behind by a defender as he ran into the penalty area. He still managed to get a shot on target, but the Suburbs keeper dived and got his finger-tips to push it onto the post and away to safety. Edge 1, Rotorua Suburbs 1.

1st May league runners-up in 1998 Otumoetai v Edge. A sweeping move gave striker Bas Overdevest a chance and he squeezed the ball past the keeper. The timing of the shot demonstrated how much Overdevest has been missed in the last two weeks, as he has recovered from injury. Overdevest managed to hit the crossbar and have another attempt cleared off the line after he'd slipped it past the Otumoetai keeper. Ian Finch got up to add the extra man a number of times. He went close twice, the first one a drive from 20 metres that swerved away to just miss, then a volley from the edge of the penalty area that almost dropped under the crossbar. Rhys Berghuis was safe as houses... squared across to Keith Fraser on the edge of the Otumoetai penalty area...bundled off the ball from behind, earning a penalty. Fraser took the penalty well. The icing on the cake, another sweeping move gave Bas Overdevest a chance and he slid the ball under the keeper into the net. Otumoetai 0, Edgecumbe 3.

8th May Edge v Ngongotaha Ngongotaha keeper's ability to get up and take the high crosses and also to block the close in shots was outstanding... centre midfielder Tim Tatham covered a lot of ground and linked well with Hori Elliot on the left and the two frontrunners - Bas Overdevest and Keith Fraser. Wetting was put into space with a good diagonal run to the left. He beat the advancing keeper and coolly slotted the ball home, past two defenders desperately scrambling back to the goal-line... squared to Overdevest who hit a strong shot along the ground as the Ngongotaha keeper threw himself down to block it. The ball hit the keeper's body and spun high into the goal. Edge 2, Ngongotaha 1.

15th May Papamoa v Edge Early Papamoa raid hit the post. Edgecumbe's reply immediate.. free kick just outside the Papamoa penalty area. In a set move, the ball was set for Fraser to blast past the defensive wall. The power of the shot took it through the keeper's hands into the goal.. referee felt obliged to issue a number of yellow cards to keep order. A series of outstanding saves from the Papamoa keeper kept his side in the game as Edgecumbe won a number of corners on the half hour. Just before the interval, a Papamoa striker tackled from behind awarded a penalty..1-1.Free kick...Fraser calmly curled the ball over the top of the wall and into the top right corner of the goal. The keeper, like everybody else, could only stand and watch. It was a goal of the highest quality. Papamoa 3, Edge 2.

22nd May Edge v Rotorua City A high cross brought stand-in goalkeeper Daniel Overdevest off his line. As he took the ball in the air an opposing player collided with him and the ball fell free and was bundled into the goal. The battle for the midfield was very physical, and referee Norm Howe had to suffer a fair amount of vocal questioning of his decisions, mainly from the visiting players. Rotorua City extended their lead just before the break when a long cross from the right was well headed over the keeper. Edge 0, Rotorua City 3.

29th May Tauranga City v Edge.. first half blitz from Tau City... a further three goals followed before half time. All of them were finished with ruthless efficiency, one a magnificent header at the back post from an early cross from the right... Edge's keeper pulled off a tremendous reflex save from a powerful close range header. Tauranga City 5, Edge 0.

12th June Best Insulation tournament..bad news.. good news . in the most difficult group, Otumoetai 1, Edge 0... v Tauranga City, Christian Wetting put himself into the goalkeeper position, where he played so often in previous seasons. City had the best of the first ten minutes and Wetting was called on to make a number of saves. He performed these with such authority that it lifted the performance of the outfield players. City did force a goal, after a scramble from a cross. Edgecumbe then got back in the game. A long clearance from Wetting got Bas Overdevest behind the City defenders. He put a delicate lob over the advancing keeper's head to score. Moments later a similar lob went over the crossbar by centimetres. Wetting then rubbed salt into the City's wound. He pulled off a brilliant save, back peddling and leaping high to keep out a well judged long shot, earning the plaudits of the large number of spectators. 1 - 1 ..v Greerton.. a well hit 20 metre shot from Keith Fraser... spirit of the game deteriorated and a number of incidents occurred which could well have involved cards being issued. Fraser, who had elected to go in goal in the second half, could not keep out a well hit long shot ..1 - 1.

19th June Whakatane v Edge.. resolute defending .. Tim Tatham made a welcome return to the side, and had the demanding job of marking Whakatane target man Werner Richsteiner... Roger Hainsworth overhead kick that just missed... snap shot from Bas Overdevest from 20 metres was tipped around the post.. home team scored. A cross from a free kick was well headed into the goal.. Tatham outjumped a defender and the keeper to head the ball just wide from 15 metres. Whakatane 1, Edge 0.

26th June Edge v Kawerau ..A lob from Wetting landed behind the Kawerau defence and Bas Overdevest raced through to delicately chip the advancing keeper... Tough tackling from George Elliot ..Strikers Bas and Sjoerd Overdevest both brought tremendous diving saves from the Kawerau keeper to shots that looked destined for the top of the goal... A strong Gavin Rothwell header from a corner was kept out with an excellent diving save by Berghuis. Edge 1, Kawerau 0.

3rd July Tasman Cup league leaders Tauranga City v Edge..A well weighted through pass from Sjoerd Overdevest was turned first time by Bas Overdevest past the City keeper. The defenders raced in to try to clear the shot away, but in vain. Edgecumbe battled to get their share of possession and had to do a good deal of defending. Tauranga City 3, Edge 1. City coach Ron Boyle said it was one of the few times this season he has been worried about getting a result.

10th July Rotorua Suburbs v Edge A good ball over the Suburbs defence from Keith Fraser after 15 minutes was lobbed over their keeper by Bas Overdevest to open the scoring. Constant pressure won a series of corners for the visitors. One of these was headed clear only for right half Darby Hawkes to volley it home from the edge of the penalty area. After thirty minutes, a ball from centre midfielder Fraser found Bas Overdevest who slipped it between defenders for left half Sam Scrimgeour to push past the Suburbs keeper...second half..almost unbelievable misses.. Rot Suburbs 1, Edge 3.

17th July Edge v Otumoetai ..defensive errors were to cost them dearly. Otumoetai went ahead when they converted a penalty after their striker was brought down in the penalty area. Twice more the visitors struck when their fast breaking forwards pounced on Edgecumbe's lapses..Pressure in the Otumoetai area brought about a handball. Keith Fraser converted the resulting penalty confidently .. 3 - 1 down at half time. A good cross from Sjoerd Overdevest found Sam Scrimgeour on the far post and he headed it back past the keeper into the net. The game really livened up after this. A 25 metre drive from Keith Fraser screamed goalward, with the keeper just managing to push it over the bar. The intensity of the situation boiled over with fifteen minutes to go, with a player from each side sent off after an altercation. Shortly after, a cross from the right reached Overdevest on the edge of the Otumoetai area and he hit an unstoppable shot into the corner of the goal. In the last desperate minute, the home team searching for an equalising goal that they certainly deserved, even keeper Christian Wetting pushed forward. His surging run, beat two players. He was then brought down in a foul tackle with one to beat. However time had run out and the final whistle blew, Plains Hotel Edgecumbe 3, Otumoetai 4.

24th July A terrific hat-trick from Sjoerd Overdevest. Ngongotaha v Edge.. The home team didn't manage to touch the ball before they were a goal down. Smart passing from the kick-off put Sjoerd Overdevest through into the penalty area and he smacked home a good low shot. ..Christian Wetting set the example for determination, following up a shot that had been partially saved by the Ngongotaha keeper and managed to turn it into the goal, despite colliding with the goal post as he slid in.. one minute later, a long hopeful shot sailed over the Edgecumbe reserve keeper to give the home team some hope. Ngongotaha another lucky break -left half Sam Scrimgeour cleared the ball from a defensive corner, the ball brushing his hand as it went. The referee, after consulting a lines-person, awarded a penalty, which was converted. Overdevest got through the defence again and hammered a shot that hit the far post and ricocheted into the goal. Scrimgeour then made it three goals in as many weeks. He hit a strong right footed volley from a cross through a crowded penalty area and into the net. Overdevest sealed his hat-trick with five minutes to go, when he followed up a shot and robbed the keeper of the ball to score. Ngongotaha 2, Edge 5.. a fitting send-off to Tim Tatham returning to England.

1 August Prudential Cup tie Edge v 3rd Division side Tauranga Boys' College.. too strong ..through ball gave Darby Hawkes a one-on-one with the keeper, and he slotted the ball home. Edgecumbe made it two when Hawkes crossed a ball in from the right. Striker Aaron Muggeridge hit a good shot on the turn. It rebounded off the post to Roger Hainsworth who calmly pushed it in.. Hainsworth's second, converting a square ball...looked to have secured a hat-trick with a well hit shot that squeezed inside the post but off-side flag up. Darby Hawkes.. a run down the right, when he beat two defenders, he cut in and put it past the keeper. Edge 4, Tauranga Boys' College 1.

14th August Rotorua City v Edge.. Christian Wetting had a goal disallowed for off-side. Edgecumbe went close to scoring at least four times..2 free kicks to City.. A good cross from the left found substitute striker Sjoerd Overdevest on the far side of the area. He squared it back to Joel Ogilvy who did well to squeeze a shot past the City keeper. Five minutes later, justice appeared to have been done when Edgecumbe equalised. Bas Overdevest flicked the ball on for Wetting, who had got in behind the defence, and he steered the ball into the goal. The tragedy for Edgecumbe was still to come. With ten minutes left to play, an Edgecumbe goal kick was deflected to an unmarked Rotorua player on the edge of the penalty area, and he put away the winning goal. The score: Rotorua City 3, Edge 2.

21st August Edge took points off BOP 1st division leader Tauranga City. Aaron Muggeridge went close early in the game, when he flicked a cross from left half Sjoerd Overdevest over the top.. Against the run of play, however, Tauranga opened the scoring. A well struck drive from 20 metres went under the keeper and in... centre midfielders Keith Fraser and Wetting in dominant form... keeper Rhys Berghuis in top form taking crosses confidently and generally controlling his area very well... Muggeridge squeezed through between two defenders, fed Fraser, who looked to shoot from the edge of the area, but instead passed to Bas Overdevest who'd got into space. Overdevest pushed the ball wide of the keeper and into the goal. Edge 1, Tauranga City 1.

28th August Greerton v Edge.. Joel Ogilvy pressured the Greerton defence into confusion after a move down the right. The ball came to winger Sjoerd Overdevest who put in a 20 metre left foot drive which wrong footed the keeper and went in... Christian Wetting made a good run into the Greerton penalty area and earned a penalty when he was pushed. He converted it well... a corner - Overdevest swung the ball in with the wind, the Greerton keeper could not keep it out and pushed it into his own net. ..Centre back Ian Finch, who always relishes the chance of pushing upfield, got himself through on the edge of the penalty area. He did very well in turning, chesting ball down and putting a dipping volley over the Greerton keeper. Wetting scored, squeezing a cross between keeper and post. Greerton gave themselves a little encouragement when they scored from a penalty, after Berghuis was judged to have jumped over the top of an attacker. Darby Hawkes and Aaron Muggeridge both had goals disallowed for off-side. Wetting made a good break, beating a number of defenders and Ogilvy finished off the move to open the lead back up... fifteen minutes to go, Wetting tackled an opponent, who objected to the tackle and headbutted him. Wetting joined his attacker in receiving a red card after he responded to the attack and, subsequently being held, with a punch... comedy when Edgecumbe substitute Roger Hainsworth received a yellow card, after he took too long to kick the ball at the restart... Ian Finch, up in the attacking third again, won a tackle and then gently lobbed the ball over the advancing Greerton keeper. Greerton 3, Edge 7.

4th Sept.. depleted Edgecumbe away to Ngongotaha's second team Prudential Cup... a minute's silence to acknowledge the tragic passing of one of the most respected referees in the Bay, Barry Spencer... a peach of a ball from Keith Fraser found Darby Hawkes on the edge of the penalty area. He pushed a delicate ball through for striker Aaron Muggeridge, who slipped it past the keeper. Edgecumbe further extended the lead when Roger Hainsworth fed a good square ball to Fraser, who put away the resulting one-on-one with the keeper in good style... big Ngongotaha keeper managed to block quite a few shots, however he couldn't get down to keep out a snap left foot drive from Darby Hawkes. Edgecumbe's keeper Rhys Berghuis came out of goal to try to add to the goal tally. He had an enviable record to maintain, that of having scored every time he had played in the out field. However, his luck was not quite in. Berghuis, receiving a good pass from Barrie Hawkes, managed to beat the keeper, and hit the inside of the post, but the ball rolled back into the keeper's arms! Ngongotaha 0, Edge 3.

18th Sept Rotorua City v Edge Prudential Cup semi-final.. Edgecumbe make-shift team... Rotorua City won a procession of corners, but were denied each time. Keeper Rhys Berghuis, while still recovering from illness, was in dominant form, taking high crosses comfortably. After thirty minutes, Edge's task became even harder. Sjoerd Overdevest was shown the red card after a challenge and had to leave the field... run from Fraser got him into the City penalty area. He was bundled off the ball and earned a penalty. Fraser himself took the penalty, hitting it well towards the bottom right corner, but the keeper made a magnificent save to keep it out... Bas Overdevest left footed shot bounce off the cross bar. With fifteen minutes to go, Rotorua City scored winner, a long cross somehow eluded everyone and a City striker managed to turn it in. Rotorua City 1, Edge 0.

See Edgecumbe AFC History

Club News

Back to Edgecumbe Home Page