Highlights of the 2000 Season

Bay of Plenty Division One

8 April Ngongotaha. Keith Fraser won the ball in the slippery conditions, about 35 metres from goal, ran at the Ngongotaha defence, beating two men, and was tripped inside the penalty area. Christian Wetting took the penalty, placed it well to the keeper's right. Cameron Peat took the ball to the goal line, and despite being surrounded by defenders, jinked his way clear and squared the ball to Fraser in front of goal... Cameron Peat delicately chipped the advancing keeper, however a defender raced back and used his hand to prevent the goal being scored, red card, Wetting penalty. Ngongotaha 0 Edge 3.

15 April Otumoetai With only fifteen minutes to go, an Otumoetai striker was put into a race with local defender Ian Finch towards the goal. Finch had the cruel fortune to have a hamstring give, but Berghuis did well to save the resulting one-on-one. However another attacker flew in to get his foot to the rebound. The visitors and their supporters were much relieved to have scored. Edgecumbe pushed forward for the final few minutes searching to gain an equaliser. Keith Fraser almost did it in the dying minutes. An Edgecumbe corner was floated in and Fraser made a spectacular flying volley which only just went wide. Edge 0, Otumoetai 1.

29 April Tauranga City United league leaders in superb form. Rhys Berghuis's last game. TCU up 6-0 at half time. TCU 7, Edge 0.

May 6 Rotorua Suburbs Keith Fraser and James Lang sent off. 3 - 0 down at half time. Christian Wetting fouled in the Suburbs penalty area. He took the penalty well. Cameron Peat was put through the Suburbs defence. He had his legs taken from him Wetting converted penalty confidently. Chad Mischefski played his first senior game of football. Edge 2, Rot Subs 4.

May 13 Greerton Christian Wetting put away his fifth penalty for the season. David Dennis ran onto a cross and hit the post with a well struck shot. Sjoerd Overdevest swung in a good corner after fifteen minutes. Wetting got up and headed it down past the keeper. It was scrambled off the Greerton line but striker Roger Hainsworth pushed it in. Bas Overdevest heard the Greerton keeper's call for the ball and deftly back-headed it over him. Wetting made sure it got past the defenders on the line for the goal. Overdevest combined well with his brother Sjoerd to work his way through the Greerton defence and put away a well-deserved goal. Edge 4 Greerton 1

May 20 Rotorua City Crucial injuries made Edge's game with Rotorua City a very tough ask. 0 - 0 half time. Two goals... Things went from bad to much worse. Keeper Mischefski came to collect a through ball, a City striker collided heavily with him in an unnecessary challenge. The keeper had to leave the field with concussion. Donald Rabbits took the gloves for the remainder of the game. He had one moment of glory, back pedalling to tip a goal bound lob over the bar. Rotorua City 3, Edge 0. As reported in Rotorua's Daily Post: Edgecumbe, in fact, created the best scoring chance before half time but muffed the chance in front of an open goal - a big let-off for City. Though out-scored, Edgecumbe did give a good account of themselves, making better use of their possession by trying to play the simple ball, player-coach Christian Wetting was an influential asset for the losers, in the midfield.

May 27 Whakatane no-holds-barred local derby... torrid battle... Referee Warren Silva did a good job in keeping a lid on the fraying tempers... a swerving screamer from 25 metres, which brought out an excellent diving save from keeper Donald Rabbits. Resolute Edgecumbe defence from Aaron Muggeridge, Brendon Cusack, Barrie Hawkes and sweeper Keith Fraser thwarted many attacks. Christian Wetting made a tremendous run down the right flank. He beat a number of players and worked his way to the line. A strong low cross got through the Whakatane defence but no-one could turn it into the goal. In the final minutes an excellent save from Whakatane's keeper Craig Manktelow denied David Dennis and the hardworking Bas Overdevest, sealing the win for his team and earning him their player of the day plaudits. Edge 0, Whakatane 1.

June 3 Tauranga Boys' College Edge below strength...in a horror spell midway through the first half TBC rattled in three goals. Ian Finch, playing in his old striking role as he recovers from injury, floated in a nicely weighted corner. Wetting headed a powerful shot down past the keeper and defenders to get one back. With ten minutes to go Wetting made it looks so easy. He took on the visiting defence with a strong run, beating a number of defenders before slipping the ball past the keeper. The final score Edge 2, Tauranga B. C. 4. Credit to referee Colin Harrison, who, despite having to borrow equipment and clothing from the players, had an excellent game in the greasy conditions.

June 10 Kawerau Edgecumbe's new midfield formation worked from the outset. Christian Wetting, Ian Finch and James Lang played in the centre of the midfield With George Elliot and David Dennis out wide, this meant five across the midfield, and Edgecumbe used the system well, playing with good control. With the score 0 - 0 at half time, one of Edge's better efforts of the season... Hot on attack, Ian Finch suddenly went down with a recurrence of a recent leg injury... A spectacular bicycle kick from Gavin Rothwell brought an equally tremendous save from Mischefski, as he flicked the ball up from near ground level, putting it over the crossbar. James Lang had one last effort to put Edgecumbe on the scoresheet, he finished a long solo run with an excellent swerving shot. Kawerau's keeper Dean Mitchell pulled off a top save to tip it round the post. The final score Kawerau 2, Edge 0.

June 17 Ngongotaha ..after 25 minutes, a ball was threaded through the Edge defence and was squeezed past the advancing goalkeeper despite a strong challenge from Brendan Cusack. Ten minutes later..a long throw-in from player-coach Christian Wetting was well headed by Cameron Peat and into the goal it went. Keith Fraser headed a corner off his line, however, one of the corners swerved in wickedly and was headed in. Wetting hit an outside of the foot shot which beat the keeper but ricochetted away off the far post. Edge 1, Ngongotaha 2.

June 24 Rotorua Suburbs Tasman Cup. David Dennis goal disallowed. Chad Mischefski had a good confident game, and made one tremendous reflex save from close range in the first half. Edge 0, Rotorua Suburbs 2.

July 1 Otumoetai ..tall timber and fast raiding attacks of home team Otumoetai eventually proved too much. Cameron Peat raced in to beat the advancing keeper to the ball, but his shot was cleared off the line by a retreating defender. Ten minutes later there was almost a repeat performance. Fraser saw James Lang free in the midfield and sent him on a run through the Otumoetai defence. Lang did very well to get clear then round the keeper, but then his shot went wide. Otumoetai 5 Edge 0.

July 8 Best Insulation Tournament. Lost to Whakatane 2nd team who had Ashley Hawkes playing in goal 1 - 0. First goal for four weeks when, after good work from Cameron Peat, Christian Wetting hit a good shot in from a narrow angle. Otumoetai 1, Edge 1.

July 15 Tauranga City United. Good first half, down 1 - 0 ... lost Fraser to a leg injury. Edge 0, T C United 5.

July 22 Rotorua Suburbs 0 - 0 half time...Suburbs's right midfielder took a speculative 'toe-hacker' from 30 metres out, and it flew straight and true into the far top corner of the goal. Then it looked like Bas Overdevest had evened the game up, when he got up well to head the ball past the Suburbs keeper. However, the ball hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down to be cleared off the line. Keith Fraser floated a corner over and centre back Barrie Hawkes scored with a powerful header from just inside the area. Both teams went searching for the winning goal. Inside the last minute, a Suburbs player was sent through down the right. He collected the ball after being tackled and crossed it perfectly onto the head of a team-mate who headed it in well from close range. Rotorua Suburbs 2, Edge 1.

July 29 Greerton. Ian Finch took advantage of some disorganisation in the home defence and slammed a free kick into the goal. Christian Wetting was fed the ball on the edge of Greerton's area, and side footed it home with aplomb. Edge really started playing with confidence, pushing the ball around the midfield and running their opposites ragged. Keith Fraser made a good run through to the bye line and squared the ball for Cameron Peat to finish. Next, Fraser was on hand with a clinical finish. Frontrunner Sjoerd Overdevest, just back from overseas, beat the defence down the right and put over a tantalising cross. His brother Bas Overdevest raced in to outjump everyone at the back post and head it in. Chad Mischefski had a freekick awarded against him for holding the ball for more than six seconds, yellow card for querying the decision. Cameron Peat grabbed his second when he beat the advancing keeper to a cross. Greerton 1, Edge 6.

August 5 High-fliers Rotorua City were given a real fright... Cameron Peat did excellent work getting the ball round the defence, drew the keeper and squared it to Bas Overdevest, who couldn't quite turn it in. Shortly thereafter, another attempt by Peat was cleared off the City goal-line. Left back Sam Scrimgeour's 25m drive brought a brilliant save from the City keeper. Overdevest headed the resulting rebound strongly goal-ward but again the keeper kept it out. Overdevest miss-hit a shot at the keeper, but as it rolled goalward, the City keeper somehow misjudged it and it continued into the net! City score again...ten minutes to play, Edgecumbe again scored an equaliser. Overdevest hitting a strong snap shot with his left foot after good work down the right from David Dennis. With only two minutes remaining, Rotorua City broke quickly down their left, putting a striker in with a chance and he hit the ball well to score the winner.Edge 2, Rotorua City 3.

August 19 Whakatane . Down 3 - 0 half time. Sjoerd Overdevest won the ball in a tackle, fed it to Cameron Peat who did well to round the Whakatane keeper and slide it in with his left foot. Whakatane 4 Edge 1.

August 26 It took a brilliant save to deny Edge a share of the points when they played Tauranga B C in a mudbath... an early free kick curled into the far corner of the Edge goal, but went straight through a hole in the net.. referee awarded a goalkick. However, Edge's player-coach Christian Wetting sportingly supported the home team's appeals and the decision was corrected. A well weighted cross from Bas Overdevest was met with a tremendous nearpost header by Sjoerd Overdevest. The ball ricocheted from one goalpost, to the other and into the goal, no mean feat in such a muddy goal area. Wetting left to go to work, Edge lost their organisation . Tauranga BC got back in front when an awkward ball stuck in the mud at the front of the Edge goal area. Keith Fraser came within a whisker of scoring. He brought the ball down well, 20 metres from goal and hit a beautiful left foot volley. The goalbound shot took a small late deflection, but somehow the Tauranga keeper pulled off a brilliant save. He dived low to his right and deflected the ball up and over the crossbar with his outstretched hand. Fraser could only stand and applaud the save. With ten minutes to go, Sjoerd Overdevest instigated a good move through the midfield. Substitute striker Roger Hainsworth was tackled as he received the ball, but Cameron Peat raced in to retrieve it and beat the keeper with a good run to score. Tauranga BC 3, Edge 2.

September 2 torrid home battle against neighbours Kawerau. Sjoerd Overdevest fed a good ball forward to Bas Overdevest. He kept his head and raced through the hesitant defence, rounded the keeper and scored... an outstanding display from goalkeeper Christian Wetting ... Kawerau equaliser. Edge 1, Kawerau 1.

See details of the 2000 league table, all BOP results, Edgecumbe's results & highest scorers summary

See Edgecumbe AFC History

Club News

Back to Edgecumbe Home Page